Sunday, January 26, 2014

Living the 'College Life'


It is a completion of another week and nothing exciting really happened, but I am enjoying the flexibility of being able to do what I want at school and being able to come home in between activities.

I made some friends and it is nice to be able to go through class with people I know. For my statistics I know a classmate that is in music education. She is easy to talk to and we sit together during lab and lecture. Then Valeria and I hang outside of class which is lovely because it is nice to experience college with someone. We even went grocery shopping together.

I went to the Center for Multitlingual Multiculture Studies for conversational hour a couple of times this week. Talking to the students is always interesting, since they come from different countries and it is fun to learn more about where they come from.

I also went to the gym a couple of times. I did yoga and the Barre experience. I did yoga before, but this class was more intense and it a small class so there was ability for correction by the instructor  which I like. I went to the Barre class with Grace and it was great doing ballet movies again. I am glad that UCF provides these classes for us since my goal is to become more fit this year.

On Friday I went home to visit my family. I took my sister shopping since she needed to pick up somethings and she couldn't get anyone to take her out. I finally got my soccer cleats and then went to was Ross where she bought us matching shirts of the Eiffel Tower. Then I got to introduce her to a Chinese restaurant I used to go to when I worked at Publix and we both got the lunch special. It was a good being out together and just being sisters.
Then at home Rebekah and I planned our favorite game Hand and Foot together and of course Jeremiah won. Then we played Wii golf, tennis, and bowling with Micah. This visit will probably be my last time until the end of February since I don't really need to go back home and I've been home every weekend since I left. Tomoko is on break from work so she came home with her new car that she bought that day. :) She is the first of us kids to get a car! Then mom decided that we should eat out and we went to Outback Steakhouse so Micah would join us. Yummy! I love good food! 

Then on Saturday, I went with the Happy Hour Showcase with some of my classmates. Valeria gave me a ride there since buses don't work on the weekends. We meet up with Victoria and her sister. Valeria and I went to some conference classes together and it was nice having someone that I knew there with me. For lunch we went to susHi and it has Chipotle style ordering for sushi! There was so many choices and everything looked so good! In the end I chose shrimp tempura with cucumbers and avocado. Then mangos, dried sweet potatoes,  green scallions and spicy mayonnaise on top! Altogether it was amazing now it is my new favorite place to eat! 

Being on my own is nice. Even though it is quiet at home since my roommates are busy and stay in their rooms a lot. They are really nice and we have kitchen time talks (mostly with Andrea). Besides the first night there we haven't really spent to much time together, but we did watch the Grammy's together. 

The only draw back about living on my own is that I have to cook for myself. Although it is nice to pick what I eat the only thing is that I have to work for want I eat it! I  have to go shopping for food which means a lot of walking to get to Publix! Here are some meals that I have cooked. 

The dish on the right was my breakfast one day. The dish is composed of stir fried bell peppers and onions in sesame oil with scrambled eggs. The dish on the left was a chickpea curry dish I made for dinner. I ate it with  naan bread that I got at Publix and it was made the meal complete. I found the recipe on Pinterest and this is the website: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/02/quick-curried-chick-peas/ I used sesame oil instead of olive oil and I didn't include cilantro since I didn't have any.Anyway, it was ok, it wasn't the greatest tasting dish since the spices weren't that strong. If I had more spices I bet I could fix it up, but I am too poor to buy them so I will just continue using the sriracha I have to spice it up. 

The apartment that I live at is decent and they even give out free food! One day they gave us a box of pizza and another day they gave out bags of chip and sandwiches. The only exciting thing that has happened is that at around 2:30am someone decided to pull a prank by pulling the fire alarm for fun. Thankfully I was still up studying so it wasn't a bad shock. We had to wait outside for more than 10min waiting for the fire department to turn off the alarm. The alarm was extremely load and it was freezing cold! But other than that the apartment is good and I am glad I moved here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment