The goal of this semester is to meet tons of new people, join numerous clubs, and try as many activities as I can. This is my senior year so I feel like I should make it the best year I can make it. Looking back at my college life, I feel like I haven't really experience an exciting college time and that I missed out of the regular experiences that most students have... Thus, this semester living near UCF is to be a grand adventure!
It has only been 10 days since I moved in at The Pointe at Central, but I have done numerous activities that I wouldn't have done if I wasn't living near by. I have taken several dance workout courses, joined the BCM girl's IM soccer team, attended an IDS meeting, joined Shift, tried paddle boarding (Lake Claire) and Racquetball for the first time, went to the BCM progressive dinner, volunteer at CMMS, and volunteer at the Highland Games!
The Scottish Highland Games
The Highland Games was a lot of fun since so many people were dressed up in traditional clothes, there were medieval tents filled with traditional items, knights fighting, animal shows, interesting games, and bagpipes! I got stuck checking tickets at the front and I wish I got something else that allowed me to see some events, but I had a good time seeing people in their outfits and kilts come through. I even took a couple pictures with some of them. After doing tickets for about 3 hours, we got lunch (chicken and chips, yum!) then we got to finally walk around! Amanda (the Arts and Recreation director) and I saw different tents. Some tents were dedicated to different clans while other were selling merchandise. Then we watch a rock carrying contest. It looked like contestants tried to carry a ridiculously heavy rock as far as they could before they needed to drop it. There were some Scottish cows so of course we had to pet them. After that we saw some knights fighting, although i didn't have the greatest view and the knights weren't the greatest at sword fighting, but it was entertaining to watch since I think they were actually fighting and not just staged! Across the field I heard the sound I really wanted to hear all day, bag pipes!! We went to follow the bag pipe band and it was wonderful to listen to them! Then we went to watch border collies herd sheep. It was interesting to actually see it happen and I loved the last trick that was shown. The dog split the herd into two and then at the shepherd's command the dog would watch the other group. It was cute seeing the dog immediately turn around on command. I enjoyed going, even though i didn't get to see all the events I wanted. The weather was pretty nice too so it made it a pleasant day and I hope it is one of many events I volunteer at with Volunteer UCF.



No comments:
Post a Comment